Friday, February 24, 2012

Artisan Clay Design Team - February Challenge

How can it be the last Friday of the month already?! Only by a small miracle did I manage to get my entry in this second to last Artisan Clay Design Team challenge done. When Kristie sent me my surprise beads for this month, I almost panicked. The package contained this set of her wonderful charms. Charms that would be perfect for earrings, which I just really don't make very often. Not often, at all.

Of course the charms, unlike the above photo of them, were in color - beautiful blue glass and ceramic. And it was blue glass I recognized instantly as that used in an Artisan Clay donut I have been hoarding for some time. And since I love working in 3's, I knew that, whatever I ended up making, would have to include that donut as well. As you can see, the three beads work nicely together.


For the bezels and the bead embroidery I used a great mix of seed beads called Navajo cooked up by the wonderful folks at Whimbeads.com. My friend Jennifer van Benschoten had shown off some of the mixes she got at their booth in Tucson this year, and I could not resist, knowing fully I would find a home for them, just not knowing that it would be so quite this soon.


Now what?  Well, I found the perfect turquoise background for this medallion:

What is it? A fantastic small felt clutch purse. It's only 4" x 5.75" but will hold your phone, credit card/ID, and keys for that special night out. I'm thinking of beading a brick stitch band with the Navajo mix to attach to the zipper so that it can morph into a wristlet. Right now, I'm just pleased to be able to show this to you.

 



I hope Kristie likes it. ;)  You can follow the links below to check out what the other members of the design team has made with their challenge beads!



Now be well and get going! Have a lovely weekend!

Update (Saturday, February 25th):  Last night, I removed the zipper pull and replaced it with a split ring...to which I added a brick-stitch beaded strap.  We now have a wristlet, named The Lynn (after Melissa Lynn Freed, whose eyes were pools of blue and whose birthday would have been yesterday).  And, of course, it's up in the shop. ;)


5 comments:

  1. It's just lovely, Carol Dean. I love it. The 3 do play very nicely. Gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Carol! I love it! It looks so rich!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Carol Dean, that is really a pretty little bag. All of the clay pieces and seed beads go so well with each other.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous as always, Carol Dean!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love!! What a creative design and your beadweaving is STUNNING!!

    ReplyDelete